Attention California taxpayers! What is your filing Status? Married? Single? Maybe you are filing as Head of Household – if so, it is possible that you may receive an audit questionnaire from the Franchise Tax Board (FTB) in the coming weeks.
Every August, tens of thousands of audit letters are mailed out to help determine if taxpayers qualify for the Head of Household (HOH) status. Once HOH status is confirmed, an acceptance letter is mailed, which applies to that tax year only; you may need to do this every year that you claim HOH status. Be sure to respond by the due date indicated on the letter to avoid being assessed a Failure to Furnish Information penalty.
If you e-filed your return, you may have already completed the HOH Audit Questionnaire electronically. The main take-away here is, if you receive a letter – whether it contains the questionnaire or a request for more information – do not ignore it. There are several ways you can respond:
- Go to ftb.ca.gov and search for “HOH web response”. You will need your social security number and the FTB ID shown at the top of the letter your received. This is the quickest and most efficient way of completing the questionnaire.
- Fax the completed questionnaire to the FTB at 866-223-8195.
- Mail the completed questionnaire to the FTB in the enclosed preaddressed envelope.
- We can handle it for you – just contact us.
- No matter how you choose to handle the matter, be sure to contact us if you have any questions about how to answer some or all of the questionnaire. An incorrect answer may result in more taxes and penalties.
No matter how you choose to handle the matter, confirming your Head of Household status is important. Be sure to contact us if you have any questions about how to answer some or all of the questionnaire. An incorrect answer may result in more taxes and penalties.